Front Page Forums General Topics of Interest Kenwood TK-8180-K programming question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tyler StutsmanBenjamin Stutsman
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m working on getting my first mobile set up in my truck. I purchased a Kenwood TK-8180-K that came with the power harness and mic. I’ve ordered a programming cable for it as well. Can anyone help point me in the right direction for programming software as well as suggestions for a modestly priced antenna. I’d like to cap the price of an antenna at $200.

Best,

Ben Stutsman
    WRKG611

Robert CairnsRobert Cairns
    Participant

Hello Ben. I have the same radio and bought the cable and software on eBay. Just search to find it. Hope this helps.

Robert
    wrfm694

John PoironJohn Poiron
    Participant

Hello Ben,
    I recently bought the Kenwood KPG-89D Version 1.6 on e-Bay for about $22.
    It runs on Windows XP, 7, 8, and 10. When you buy, make sure the seller gives you
    the program activation key code. You need this key to install the program on your PC.
    Buy from someone who accepts returns.

As for the cable, I had a KPG-46U on hand. I bought it for my Kenwood TM-281
    2 meter ham xcvr. The KPG-46U worked fine for me on the TK-8180.

You didn’t indicate whether you would mount to the roof, or somewhere on the body, or maybe on a mirror bracket;
    but for my ham radios on 2 meters, I have been using Larsen mag mounts with great success. And they won’t
    cost you $200. Get an antenna rated for 450 – 470 mHz

Morris TaiblesonMorris Taibleson
    Participant

I believe CHIRP software will work on that Kenwood and it is free. Just need the programming cable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.